Tuesday, July 01, 2008

So, What really happened?!

Courtesy of Vibe.com

In 2001, the teen hearth-throbs "Boys of the New Millennium", a.k.a B2K, hit the music scene by storm capturing the hearts of many young girls. With catchy hits, adorable looks, and exceptional dance moves, B2K quickly rose to the top and became one of the biggest black boy band groups to bless the pages of numerous magazines and televised shows. What seemed like a friendship that would get stronger with passing years, soon withered away when these "boys for life" hit rock bottom and shocked the ears of dedicated fans when announcing their break-up. With much controversy and molestation allegations, no one knew for sure what drove the guys to call it quits and burn bridges amongst the members and management crew. As numerous you tube videos, magazine articles, and televised interviews have circulated through many mass media outlets, stories have changed and have become more detailed and painful. As a dedicated B2K fanatic, I can truly say that this break-up hit home for me. These boys were of my time, they were my idols and marked my first celebrity crush. As they disappeared off the scene, I have frantically attempted to find out the who's, what's, whens, where's and whys in regards to what happen and why it happened. Finally, after skimming headlines on the cover of popular social magazines, my eyes locked on the July 2008 "The Sexy Issue" of Vibe Magazine. In this swagger issue, they have dedicated a 10-page spread to clear the smoke and present the personal testimony of the members of B2K, as well as the accused manager Chris Stokes, among others he managed and worked with.



Here's a quick snapshot of different remarks made in the cut-throat article:

"I'm not in the public eye sweetheart! Stokes says. but he says he decided
to speak because people have the wrong idea about him. I'm a Christian man, and
I'm an honest person," he says. "You'd probably want to be my friend if you got
to know me...I just want Vibe readers to know that I treat my artists like my
family, and once you achieve a certain amount of recognition and success, you
become a target."

- Chris Stokes

"Getting in trouble" was not limited to verbal warnings. "Sometimes we'd get
punched," says Omarion. "Like, socked in the chest or something. It's like a man
thing, like, ya'll need to listen. That's honestly why we stayed in
line

- Omarion

"Me and Keisha came to the decision that we didn't want to be involved in that situation anymore," says Scott, who continued to work as the group's choreographer but turned over management duties to Stokes. "We were uncomfortable with the way [T.U.G] ran business. Chris is manipulative ...to get what he wants," says Scott, who still works as a
choreographer in Los Angeles. "I just try to be a good business person and a good person in general, and everybody's not like that"

- Dave Scott


For more on the article pick up the July 2008 Issue or take a trip to the online article.

No comments: