Friday, July 11, 2008

Happiness. . .


I've always been hands down the type of person that cherishes a smile and the rush of being happy. With each relationship that comes and goes, the sole question I ask myself prior to diving in or making my decision is "will it make me happy?". After watching "Pursuit of Happiness", I adopted the goal, I took on the pursuit. One person (that of which I cannot remember) once challenged me and said the saying was B.S and in all actuality had no substance and made no sense. For me, it made perfect sense and I continued to stroll along with it. When caught in a situation that proves to be more thought provoking and challenging, what better path to choose than the one that will lead to eventual happiness? Sounds pretty simple. self-explanatory. I always considered this pursuit to be the continuation of the adage "everything happens for a reason" hoping that at the end of the journey, everything that has happened along the way was all a part of the master plan to make me appreciate the happiness waiting for me down the road. While it sounds very convincing and makes sense at face value, I've read and re-read a new quote that dug deeper into the nonsense that I was so intensely listening to and worshipping.


"Happiness is not found at the end of the road, it is experienced along the way.
So not take for granted each moment of your life and you will find a reason to
be happy
"


author unknown.



Absorb it.

Let it resonate.

Allow it to sink in.


Now go back and reassess the idea of the "pursuit of happiness". I unmistakably agree with this statement. Often, we overlook the present and look ahead to what the future may bring. The present is a gift and all that presents itself and all that occurs shapes you and defines who you was, who you are, and who you are going to be. The decisions and choices you make now influence your current state of mind and well-being. I have learned that if I am smiling today and someone asks me "How are you", I can say that I am happy with little to no hesitation. I will no longer say I am pursuing happiness, because at this point in time I have nothing to frown about. My smiles here today, so why not exclaim happiness today. What you do now, determines and forecasts your later actions. I have a reason to be happy now, I have found it and deserve it TODAY. How about you?

No comments: