Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oh, Home Sweet City: My NYC Update

Needless to say, with all moves, it can be a little unsettling and nerve-wrecking to venture out on your own for the first time. The absence of friends, family so close to home, and a long distance relationship took its toll on me the first two weeks and ultimately pushed me to want to go home and to be saddened daily. In my post "Not So Glamorous", I introduced the side of Ms. Elise that was fearful, not adventurous and ready to pack up and head back to my comfort zone in Boston. I felt like making friends was out the question, and my days would consist of going to work and returning back home again. However, I woke up and realized that this is an opportunity of a lifetime girl, so LIVE it up, ENJOY yourself, HAVE something to blog and brag to your friends about. From that day forward whether its been doing the solo thing, meeting up with a girlie, a Q.U. cutie, or laughing it up with "M&M" for the day, I've been smiling nonstop and enjoying myself. From Times Square, to shopping malls, to a horse & carriage ride through Times Square, I have vowed to pick and choose the things I want to do and actually get up and do them. To start off, I felt like the summer couldn't go any slower. I remember my days feeling as if they lingered on forever. Now I feel like the calendar is slipping away, and it's about time for me to get on the ball. I'm a city girl and being in NYC is the perfect resort for me. I came in a little sheltered (but not too much) and a little skeptical, but now I have tougher skin and feel the independence I have gained. Now when I get off the bus from Boston, I sigh with relief versus depression and happily exclaim "oh, home sweet city!". I'm glad I not only made the decision to come, but to stay. When the summer's coming to a close and I pack and turn in my key, I will not say "bye", but "I'll see you soon". For I will have become not yet a year older but ten weeks smarter, wiser, and stronger.

3 comments:

Wes said...

Aww.. I'm glad to hear that you turned what could've been an ugly situation into an awesome one. I love this city (But that doesn't count b/c I was born here) and whenever I leave I can't wait to get back. But some days I hate it... I always say I have a love/hate relationship w/ NYC; I love it just as much as I hate it.

Unknown said...

I'm just like Wes above me...I love the city (I'm from Brooklyn) but I was born n raised here. Way to turn a bad situation good. but trust me NYC has it's upsides

I'm loving your blog

Unknown said...

PS: your about me section says Double Chocolate chip frap's....OMG LOVEEEE THEN!! and I'm permanently addicted to flats (I'm 5'9" with 5'0" friends lol)