Thursday, July 31, 2008

Eva Mendes graces Interview Magazine



For the August 2008 Issue, David Colman of Interview Magazine sat down with actress Eva Mendes touching on celebrities and substance abuse and being a Cuban- American in the entertainment industry. I found this article particularly interesting because it's different from other articles I've posted on F&F. In Mario's interview he discussed his fight to help his mother through rehab, however, E.M herself was checked into Utah's Cirque Lodge rehabilitation center earlier this year. Often times celebrities shy away and refuse to answer such questions, whereas Eva is blunt and bold, and while she doesn't address her exact personal experience, she does address the issue amongst celebrities alike and it's heavy impact which many take jokingly and lightly


On substance abuse. . .
I’m not angry. But because celebrities’ lives are so visible, I think it
makes it look lighter than it is. I have a really good sense of humor, I’m just
very sensitive. The other day I was reading an article. I don’t even remember
who the actress was, but she’s been around for a long time. She said something
like, “I’m proud that I’ve had a whole career without making it to rehab.” I
thought, That’s such a negative twist on it. I’m proud of people who have the
determination and the fearlessness to actually go and face their demons and get
better. This is a life or death situation. Again, I’m not a spokesperson for
this, but it’s just that I want to support people for their decisions when they
do go in and get help.
Being Cuban - American

I would never call it a challenge. I think being a woman in Hollywood is a big enough challenge. It really is, man. I don't want to be one of those people who complain. But the lack of roles out there--it's unbelievable. I read a lot of scripts. I believe you've got to read one that you know you're not going to do, because you've got to educate yourself on what's out there to make the best decision for you. So it's challenging being a woman. Then there are other kinds of obstacles that come your way, but there are many times that being Latin has actually helped me, being a Cuban-American has helped me.

Continue reading >>
For full article pick up the August 08 issue of Interview Magazine (on stands now)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Eva Mendes....she is gorgeous and appears to have a beautiful spirit as well...I wish her the best of luck!! Thanx 4 posting!