Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Princess of the Game is Back!!


“It was scary. I was used to ­being this spoiled little girl
who was taken care of. If something didn’t go my way, I cursed and I shouted at the top of my lungs and I got what I wanted.” - Ashanti


This month, you can find the Princess of Hip Hop & R&B, Ashanti, making an appearance on the cover of Page Six Magazine. As a Grammy award winner with 14 hits and an actress, Ashanti was involuntarily missing in action for three and a half years after going on what seemed to be a music hiatus. Wondering why? With the indictment of Irv Gotti, CEO of Murder Inc., due to money laundering, all artists and albums were put on hold until all accusations were cleared. Due to her affiliation with the head of the label, other labels were hesitant to pick up the leading lady. When discussing the effects of Gotti's money laundering charges on her career as an artist, Ashanti states:

“That was the worst part—not having a say as to what’s happening in my own life,” she says now. “To a singer, that’s like telling them they’re dying. It was tragic.”

With Ashanti being gone the past few years, other artists have taken over the spotlight and are becoming big names industry. With artists such as Rihanna and Fergie making their mark, it was hard for a hit maker such as Ashanti to dwindle behind the scenes and listen to the voices of others booming through the stereo, knowing hers was not to follow.

She admits:

“I’m not gonna play—it was hard,” she admits. “I’d hear a song on the radio and wish mine was next. But I respect a lot of the artists who’ve come along since I was out, especially Rihanna. She’s smart and she’s worked the business instead of having the business work her.”



And as if her relationship with Nelly isn't cute enough, she further describes her suave beau as "an amazing person with a big heart, who’s taught me a lot". Contrary to the rumors buzzing around numerous media outlets, the two have yet to set a wedding date let alone an engagement. While hearsay spirals announcing there are kids in the near future, Ashanti confirms such rumors as false. However if they do tie the knot she would love to have kids. To be exact :
“I want 10 kids! [...] I love my career, but to one day be a mom is more important to me than any platinum albums or awards.”
Continue >>
Also check out her video 'Good Good' and cop her fifth album 'The Declaration'.

No comments: